Julian's Jabberings

Books reviews, current events, and other musings

Sunday, January 30, 2005

The Transformation of American Religion

The Transformation of American Religion: How We Actually Live Our Faith is an anthropological view of contemporary American religion and how it has adapted to the modern world. Alan Wolfe, its author, is a non-believer who has studied religious practice for years, making him the ideal person to examine the subject.

The most striking aspect was the way religion satisfies people’s emotional and social needs. I turned away from my Jewish upbringing because the rituals, stories, and prayers never seemed relevant to my life. As Wolfe explains, the American churches that are growing most rapidly position themselves in a way that helps people handle and comprehend their day-by-day lives. I gained a deeper understanding on why so many Americans attend their religious institutions.

Wolfe also describes how churches have evolved over the last few decades, in order to respond to cultural changes and attract more congregants. For example, many churches play Christian rock music to make their services more appealing. Religion isn’t nearly as demanding as it used to be; sermons focus much more on rewards than on obligations. There’s often less focus on doctrinal differences. Many churches organize small-group activities, in which people start off discussing religious issues but end up taking about their personal concerns.

The book mainly focuses on Christianity, though there’s some discussion of Judaism and a little time spent on Buddhism and Islam. The Transformation of American Religion provides an insightful perspective on contemporary American religious practice. I had no idea how much modern culture had shaped religion. My only complaint, which is fairly minor, is that it was sometimes difficult to keep track of all the Christian denominations. Overall, it’s a well-written and accessible account of how the other (religious) half lives.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I disagree that an athiest is an ideal person to examine the subject. I am probably correct in my assumption that your point is that an athiest is, by nature (in this context), impartial and dispassionate? A similar idea?

Personally, as a devout Christian, I usually have a difficult time with such examiners. A non-believer invariably uses a calculus when discussing religious matters that is bizarre, from my point of view: religious matters have nothing to do with God.

I mean by this that it will never occur to such an author that people such as myself attend religious services simply because we like being around God, get tired of silly arguments with people that don't know him about whether or not he exists and would like to relax a bit ... and so on :) Other, better examples could be constructed by smarter people.

I dont mean to be disrespectful to Mr. Wolfe, who I am sure is a well-meaning and professional scholar. My point is meant to be quite narrow.

Frankly, either the non-believer is right, and my God is all in my head, or I am right, and the non-believer is completely missing the big picture; but either way, it seems we all wind up with two pools of books, only one of which is useful to any given person, and exactly one of which will ultimately have to be discarded. That's too strong, and certainly not universally true, but I think it probably descriptive of the general state of things.

But back to the point. I would suggest an ideal person to examine the subject would be ... er ... a word for "someone not sure if God is or isn't and doesn't really care, beyond curiosity, either way."

Is there such a person? :)

Quickly, on another point: I have only your description of the book itself, but if Mr. Wolfe's conclusions are as you've described them, they are completely at odds with another book I've read, Exodus, by Dave Shiflett. If you haven't read this one, you might enjoy it; its irreverent style is pretty comfortable. And it may provide balance to Mr. Wolfe's thesis.

Beautiful site. I wish you continued success.

David Tilley
http://nightmist.us/index.html

November 7, 2005 at 11:17 PM  
Blogger Julian said...

Thanks for your comments.

As you say, there probably isn't an "ideal person" to write a book at religion. Wolfe may be the ideal person to write a book that I, as an atheist, can relate to. Analogously, Dave Shiflett may be the ideal person to write a book for a devout Christian.

Of course, we could each learn a great deal by reading books from people with differing viewpoints, but it's often difficult and uncomfortable to do so.

November 9, 2005 at 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home